Friday, March 7, 2014

Apocophrex Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?
1.       The band was formed in 2013 by Justin (guitars, mixing, programming), and Pete (vocals, lyrics, artwork). Apocrophex is an internet collaboration between the two.

2.Recently you have released a new ep, can you tell us a little bit more about your musical sound?
2.      Justin- I like to use a lot of sweeping arpeggios , tapping harmonics, and just mess around with different things to get the overall sound that I’m looking for. The goal is to keep it interesting and progressive without losing the brutality along the way. After I’ve written the bones of a song I always try to make sure that it has that relentless momentum that will drive the listener into an uncontrollable windmill headbang!
 

3.Can you tell us a little bit more about the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
2.      Justin- I like to use a lot of sweeping arpeggios , tapping harmonics, and just mess around with different things to get the overall sound that I’m looking for. The goal is to keep it interesting and progressive without losing the brutality along the way. After I’ve written the bones of a song I always try to make sure that it has that relentless momentum that will drive the listener into an uncontrollable windmill headbang!
 

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Apocrophex'?
4.       Justin- Apocrophex comes from the word Apocrypha when means “secret, or obscure” it also means “to hide away”. I felt that it went well with the subject matter and Pete came up with a great logo and so Apocrophex was born.
 

5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?
5.       Justin- Well, all performing has been done in my spare bedroom mostly in my boxers, so I can’t comment on the stage performance, but my bedroom performance is off the charts ;)

Pete- Being that we live in different area of the country there will be no live shows for quite some time. 

6. Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
6.       Justin- As of now we do not have any plans to tour but of course we are always open to the possibility and I hope we are able to at some point.
 

7.The ep came out on Manicidic Records, can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
7.      Pete- I own and operate Manicidic Records so it seemed like a great way to help gain some exposure to our project. Manicidic Records was founded in 2005 and we currently have 32 releases to date. Bands like Danny Tanner, So I Shot Myself and Gukurahundi have really helped to establish us in the extreme metal scene. Our new sub-label Manicidic BLACK was just founded this year in 2014 and our goal is to release free digital split and EP releases for emerging black metal artists. 

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of technical death metal?
8.       Pete- The 'Wheels Within Wheels' EP has only been live for a couple of weeks now but the response has been outstanding so far. 
 

9.When can we expect a full length album and also what musical direction do you see the band heading into in the future?
9.       Justin- I think we should have the full length out later this year. If things go smoothly I don’t see that being an issue. I’d like to say earlier but 2014 is the goal. As for the sound there are many more layers to the full length and I would say a greater sophistication overall. The EP is a great snapshot of what we are all about but there is only so much you can showcase in 5 minutes!

10.What are some bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
10.   Justin- I’m old school, my brain is hardwired from the early death metal days 89’-92’. That laid the foundation for me and I’ve found things I like along the way but nothing as good as the old Florida / New York scene. Some of those bands along the way would be Despised Icon, Benighted, Deranged, Necrophagist, Decapitated, Immolation, to name a few.

Pete- I too am obsessed with the early death metal scene, mainly the Finnish bands of the 90's most recently; Demilich, Depravity, Demigod, Rippikoulu etc. My other musical loves include most genres of black metal, most recently atmospheric black metal by the likes of Panopticon, Drukne, WITTR, Ifing etc. Also mid 90's-early 00's NJ Hardcore; One 4 One, NJ Bloodline, For The Love Of, Shattered Realm etc.

11.What are some of your interests outside of music?
11.   Justin- Discovering new beers I’ve never had before that make me stumble around giddy as a school girl drooling with delight! And that endless pursuit of brewing your own beer that will one day win you a gold medal in a major beer competition. Stay thirsty.

Pete- Same here, however, beer truly pays the bills for me! The growing craft beer market is ever changing and morphing into something bigger and better. Its a full time job in and of itself to just stay on top of whats happening! I wouldnt want to be involved in another professional industry. 

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
12.   Justin- I just want to thank the fans that have shown us such awesome support during our short existence. The response has been great so far

No comments:

Post a Comment