Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Crypticus Interview


1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?

In between mixing stuff for other bands I've been slowly tweaking the mix for the new CRYPTICUS album "The Nexus of Death" which is about 90% finished. I was not satisfied with the production on the last album, so I'm working hard to make this one huge, heavy, & threatening. Meanwhile, we're also planning new songs for the next online release via Bandcamp.

2. How would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the split and how it differs from previous
recording?
It's a bit closer to the style of our first album "Dedicated To the Impure," in that it's less technical, more
heaviness & groove with a thicker sound than before. Most material is new, but one is a recreation of an old demo track, so it represents how CRYPTICUS used to sound, also how we will sound on the next album.

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the new release?
The general theme is: the consequences of ignoring dark forces. Things that lurk beyond our veil of perception do not hold humanity in high regard & I tend to agree with them. One song metaphorically addresses a dark period of depression I suffered & the horrors it taught me. Another is a joyous song of destruction sung by a bloodthirsty Orc. I'm hugely influenced by horror literature, so I chose to adapt T.E.D. Klein's novella "Nadelman's God" into a short & heavy song. Another is based on my combined love of Lovecraft, Poe, EC comics, & psychedelic experimentation.

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name/
CRYPTICUS was a word I thought I had invented, but I came to discover it meant hidden/concealed/secret, so it fit my original intent anyway. The name was originally given to a creature I drew when I was young - kind of ghost/golem thing that manifested from rotting bodies. Now, it represents my struggle to recover secret knowledge beyond the laws of Man.

5. Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you planning on expanding the line up in the future/
The only position I would consider is a permanent bassist. Brynjar gets what I'm doing & he adds his own influences & flourishes. I would be extremely happy to find a bass player with the same qualities. If anyone reading this plays like Johan Berglund & can record themselves, send me an e-mail!

6. I know that H.P Lovecraft is a huge influence on the music, what is it that interested you about this author/
I was a very sullen child, attracted to art created by weird people. So when I learned about Poe in school, he
captured my imagination. At the same time, I was falling in love with the Stewart Gordon Empire pictures. When I learned they were inspired by the writings of an old pulpist in the tradition of Poe, I was intrigued. Then, I heard the METALLICA songs inspired by him & I knew I must find his works. The first story I read was "The Outsider," which is, appropriately enough, Lovecraft's attempt to write a feverish tale of obsession in the style of Poe. The story was only five pages long, but it changed my life...

7. On a worldwide level how has your music been received by death metal fans?
I've been very lucky to have been heard all over, but besides America, I get the most crazy fans from India. Those guys are serious about Death metal & have a scene that is starting to explode. I've made many Indian friends online & they have always gone out of their way to support & help spread my music.

8. Are there any current side projects?
Brynjar's prime band is LIKLUKT, which he has been doing for many years, but he's also in THE GROTESQUERY with Kam Lee. I play guitar & bass in TOMBSTONES with Stevo from IMPETIGO, I've played lead guitar for RIBSPREADER, & I am working with a friend on a Grind project called ADAM FUCKING WEST, in which Adam "Fucking" West, himself, will be thrashing the drums.

9. What direction do you see the music heading into on future releases/
Darker, heavier, & stranger. I'd like to bring in more horror soundtrack elements. Maybe longer, more experimental songs. Our free online EP "The Rites of Infestation" is a good forecast of our future direction.

10. What are some bands and musical styles that have influenced the newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
RUNEMAGICK & MORGOTH were a big influence on the atmosphere of CRYPTICUS, DECEASED & CARCASS inspire my songwriting, Dan Swano & Bill Steer inspire my guitar playing. Clearly I love Scandinavian Death Metal, but I also indulge in Prog, Gothic Rock, & video game soundtracks. I've just recently discovered Spotify, so I've found many new bands. Currently, I love EXECRATION (Nor), FERAL, MORBUS CHRON, & INSTINCT OF SURVIVAL. Also, many of my friends have great bands like ENEMY REIGN, HOODED MENACE, DEMIURG, THE GROTESQUERY, RUINEBELL, & HORRENDOUS.

11. What role does Occultism play in the music?
It has always interested me & I have spent many years investigating aspects of it. My personal findings are secret, but I metaphorically address them in my lyrics. I also just really enjoy over-the-top occult imagery & its trappings, so I strive to portray a Gothic occultism. But with a tongue-in-cheek spookiness.

12. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
I'm a bit anachronistic, so I love the old-school American manliness of my fathers' generation - booze, cigars, & boxing. I love Spaghetti Westerns & their soundtracks, 8-bit video games & their soundtracks. Big fan of horror in all forms - comics, films, books, games. But my greatest emerging passion is mixing other people's music. Nothing more satisfying than creating a crushing guitar sound.

13. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Just to say thank you to Billy, Vanessa, & Wayne for doing this split with us, Selfmade God for releasing it, & you for the interview. Any bands who want to do a split, or any labels inte

No comments:

Post a Comment