Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Omission Interview


1. Can you update us with what is going on with the band these days?



Greetings… right now we are rehearsing with our new bassist Jose Luis Gonzalez, working on a new song and waiting for our debut album “In the Shadow of the Cross” to come out.



2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new album and how does it differ from the demos that you have put out?



The sound of Omision in general is a straight forward, in your face Death Metal, just like in the old days (1990’s).



The first demo (Pile Up in the Morgue) was recorded at Volta Bend studios with Adrian, Emmanuel, Hazael, Ixca and Me on the line up. After the departure of Hazael and then Emmanuel, I took over on rhythm guitars/vocals and redefined the guitar sound and later on Roberto joined the band helping to reinforce the sound that we already had with his lead guitar skills. As a four piece we recorded the second demo (Utopia of Chaos) in Volta Bend studios once again but this time we had a much clearer idea about how we wanted the demo to sound.



For the third demo (Pray) Adrian had left the band and we recruited Joel and after a few months of rehearsing the old songs and writing two new ones Roberto suggested that we try M&L Studios to record the next demo, so we did and we were really happy with the results that when we got the record deal we choose once again to work with M&L Studios to record the album.



To sum it up, the difference of Omision’s sound throughout the years has been the line up changes the band has had.





3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the new release explores?



Some songs express my personal experience I have had with some religions and the way they try to force you to believe in a god (Your God). And how they make you believe that if you pray really hard you will win a place in heaven or help to resolve your problems and stuff like that (Pray), another one is that they pray for your soul but you don’t want/need salvation from anyone or any thing (Won’t Be Saved). Other songs talk about the war between good and evil and how evil will always prevails.





4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?



It has no special meaning, Omision is Spanish for Omission. Back in ‘93 we named the band after a Testament song “Sins of Omission”, since we all liked their music (don’t know about the other guys nowadays but I still like it) we agreed to name the band Omision, we even tried to cover that song but never finished it.



5. You guys have been around since the early 90's what was the decision behind the break up, and what made you decide to reform the band?



The beginning of the end was the musical differences we all had, I left the band a few moths after the original lead guitarist quit and since he was the one who wrote the best riffs I decided to quit the band, and the rest of the guys started a cover band and playing other types of music.

After that I started a couple of projects with no results until I met up with my friend and neighbor at the time Adrian and started working on new songs and since then Omision was reborn.



6. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?



The best shows we ever had definitely have to be when we played with Incantation, Demilich and thrash metal legends Rigor Mortis.



When we get on stage we go straight for the kill!!! We play almost nonstop so the audience will never know what hit them, you know?

We always work on different set lists for each show we play



7. Do you have any touring plans for the new album?



Not really, but if something interesting comes up and we all are up for it we’ll do it



8. On a worldwide level how has your music has been received by death metal fans worldwide?



I think it has had a good response… a slow but good response I must say, and hope that we can make more fans once the album comes out.





9. What is going on with the other bands these days?



Well, if you’re referring to Infinitum Obscure and Sadistic Intent well…

Roberto and Infinitum Obscure are working on their 3rd album and Sadistic Intent just hired Nick Barker as their new drummer.



10. What direction do you see the music heading into on future releases?



The music will still be on the same page as all the previous songs I have written, but the topics will be different this time around, I got some new topics on my mind that I need to put in writing.





11. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?



My main influence is 90’s death metal, but I like thrash metal as well. As for bands well…. I like a lot of bands. I consider myself a big fan of Testament, I also love Bolt Thrower, Massacre, Napalm Death, Terrorirzer, Death, Asphyx, Carcass, Malevolent Creation, old Hypocrisy, I can continue naming bands but the list will be to damn long, hehehe…



Lately I have been listening to Solitude Aeturnus, Candlemass, Extreme Noise Terror, Insect Warfare, Necros Christos, Winter, Autopsy, Iron Maiden, Napalm Death and some 1950’s rock ‘n roll. Right now I’m listening to “Dream of Immortality” by Solitude Aeturnus



12. What role does Anti Christianity/Catholicism and Satanism play in your music and how would you describe your views on these topics?



The music till this day it has been anti religious in general. Most of the lyrics I have written are more of my personal experience with Catholicism and Christianity, and if I refer to Satan in some songs, I do it in a metaphorical way, just to represent evil. You know? And In no way Omision is a satanic band.

As I mentioned it before, the lyrical topics will change and maybe every now and then I’ll write more anti religious lyrics.

I personally don’t believe in any kind of religion, call it Christianity, Buddhist, Satanism, etc… for me there’s only good and evil and that’s it!

Every one is entitled to believe in what they want to, just don’t try to convince me to join a religion or a cult because that is not going to happen.



13. Outside of music, what are some of your interests?



I like sports, every now and then I go and play some paintball, I like war movies and documentaries, video games, reading books (thing I have not done in a wile), increasing my cassette tapes, LPs and CDs collection, going to metal shows, like every metal fan.





14. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?



Thank you so much for this interview and remember… no one will answer your prayers!



CHEERS!!!!!!!

-Heri

No comments:

Post a Comment